Come into an MK's Kitchen

Journal-ish things, Devotionals, Thoughts, Poems, Glimpses from an MK's Life...writer-readers will use color penci/lhighlighter here

Monday, August 24, 2026

THOUGHTS FROM ARMOR BEARERS

Whew.  1959-1987 handwritten Japanese manuscript finished! Thank you for praying with me!

I'm taking a breather from book work right now. There were a bunch of lesser projects I wanted to do that got put on the shelf while doing that book, so while asking the Lord what He wants me to work on next, I'm going to piddle around with these fun little thingys a little.

I already wrote my short "Rainbow" devotional on the "Why Should It Change" blog (WHY SHOULD IT CHANGE), and I thought I'd post on this blog "THOUGHTS FROM ARMOR BEARERS", from I Samuel.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *

1. "one bearing a shield went before him" (I Sam.17:7) Goliath's armor bearer

Actually, the character that stays with most readers from this story is not Goliath, but David, who felled him. But for me, this time, it wasn't even David, but David's father. "Whose stripling is this?" the king asked, amazed, when he saw his boldness. I hope too people would be left with a memory of MY HEAVENLY FATHER after any incredible encounters.

2. "Now it came to pass upon a day, that Jonathan, the son of Saul, said unto the young man that bore his armor, Come, let us go over to the Philistines' garrison, that is on the other side." (I Sam.14:1) "for there is no restraint for the LORD to save" (14:6) "the LORD saved Israel that day" (14:23) Jonathan's armor bearer

More than the actual fight, it is what happened afterwards. There should've been great rejoicing that God had given them such victory. Instead, the people were barely saving Jonathan's life from Saul's wrath. Oh my.

3. "Then said Saul unto his armorbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through with it...his armorbearer would not" (I Sam.31:4) Saul's armor bearer

Saul's death is recorded here; and Saul's soldier could not bear to do it. As soon as news reaches David, he mourns. Some children of God think it is enough to simply not get angry, to not take matters in their own hands (as Saul persecuted David); but how many of us really ask God to search our hearts to remove any vestige of hostility such that we would GRIEVE when misfortune would strike those who have hurt or offended us?