Come into an MK's Kitchen

Journal-ish things, Devotionals, Thoughts, Poems, Glimpses from an MK's Life...writer-readers will use color penci/lhighlighter here

Tuesday, August 11, 2026

NOT SO LONG AGO

I realized the other day the room was beginning to look normal to me, whereas when we first moved here, I remember saying I had to take down all those pictures off the walls so the place wouldn't like a photo museum, more like a home. But those thoughts haven't crossed my mind the past year or so.

Moving down to Okinawa...was the end of August 2024, so almost TWO YEARS AGO?! Wow.

Several months before that had been my trip Stateside, then several months before that, I'd been visiting here in Okinawa. At that time, I had no idea I'd be back here to LIVE!

The day before my sisters and I left the Izena island two years ago after our week's visit with our cousin, an elderly neighbor had come over with a bag of specialty island rice for us. And in following months, Rumiko told me the Lord gave her a good, long talk with that friend.

She and her husband moved right after that, but we know the God Who feeds the fowl of the air follows and cares for her too.

Last night, I had the urge to pray for a young Christian we met at another small island our cousin grew up on. I found the blog post dated Feb. 2024: "We stopped at an inviting building wondering if we might pick up something to eat, then found it wasn't a cafe but were delighted to learn they were Christians...!"

(That's Wakana on the left in the light jacket.)

So I prayed for Wakana until God seemed to tell me it was okay to stop praying, mostly that she would take her eyes off herself and let the Lord fight--the battle was won only when it was HIS, but it was already won if she let Him do the fighting.

I wonder if God'll let me see again, on earth, Wakana, or that dear Izena Grandma?